Mats burst onto the world tennis scene at the 1982 French Open, just a year after turning professional. He became the youngest-ever male Grand Slam singles champion at 17 years, 9 months.
Wilander won his second and third Grand Slam titles at the 1983 and 1984 Australian Opens, played on grass at Kooyong. Major no.4 came at Roland Garros in 1985. Mats rose to the World No.1 ranking in 1988, a year in which he won three of the four Grand Slam titles – the Australian, French and US Opens.
He reached the quarterfinals of Wimbledon. Mats was a member of three Swedish Davis Cup winning teams. In 1984, 1985 and 1987, Mats lifted the Davis Cup with Sweden for the final time, wiping out India in the final. He is the current Swedish Davis Cup captain.
- 1998: N° 1 ATP Ranking
33 ATP Titles
- 1990: Itaparica
- 1988: Palermo; US Open; Cincinnati; Roland Garros; Key Biscayne; Australian Open
- 1987: Indianapolis; Boston; Rome; Monte Carlo; Brussels
- 1986: Cincinnati; Brussels
- 1985: Bastad; Boston; Roland Garros
- 1984: Australian Open; Barcelona; Cincinnati
- 1983: Australian Open; Stockholm; Barcelona; Geneva; Cincinnati; Bastad; Aix-En-Provence; Lisbon; Monte Carlo
- 1982: Barcelona; Geneva; Bastad; Roland Garros